Thursday, July 19, 2012

Canning

So I figured a different post just for canning as most people probably are not this dedicated to their food! So in my adult life so far I've canned only applesauce, pickles, stewed tomatoes, salsa & all types of jams (blueberry, peach, strawberry, cherry).  My biggest learning curve has been on pickles.  The first year my pickles were so awful I threw them all away.  Last year I canned throught the season and taught myself what to do right.  The only item I've canned so far this season has been green & wax beans, which I've never done before.  So I can not tell you if they are good or bad....but here is the recipe.

I'm going to assume you know the basics of canning but if this is all new to you let me know and I can help you out.

Beans
cut off ends of beans, wash and cut into 1" lengths
stuff beans into warm jars
add 1/4" tsp salt
fill jar with boiling water (leave 1/2" headroom)
add warm lid and tighten
process in pressure canner (10 lbs) for 20 minutes (pints) and 25 min (quarts)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home