Thursday, July 19, 2012

Boi Choi

This is something I had NO idea what to do with a few months ago but have enjoyed experimenting.

Sauted Boi Choy & Bacon
Cook chopped bacon (I used 5 slices of precooked kind) and garlic in some olive oil.
Add cut up stalk portion of Boi Choi to pan with 1 bouillion cube and 1 c. water (or chicken broth) and hot pepper to taste, simmer ~5 minutes.  Add chopped up leaf portion of boi choi and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

I've made the above recipe with and without the bacon...both times were equally as good.

The next recipe is compliments of my dad as he gave me a ham bone to use and I came up with this.

Boi Choi & Ham soup
Cook ham bone in boiling water for 5-6 hours.  I usually make sure there is enough water to cover the bone but again no measuring here!
Remove bone & fat and return meat to pot.
Add chopped up stalk of boi choi and cook for 15 minutes, add in a can of diced tomatoes (or fresh..I didn't have any left), remaining boi choy, garlic, frozen basil cubes and salt & pepper to taste.  Cook another 10 minutes or so.  I wanted to eat this over rice but alas the rice was going to take 45 minutes to cook and I was hungry now, so I hate like a stew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home